Friday, July 24, 2009

A Fairytale (Are you ready for this post?)

I think that, out of all the thoughts a little girl thinks or the dreams that she dreams, about 3/4's of them have something to do with her wedding.  At least that was the case for me.  More so as I became a not so little girl!  Who would I marry ("if I could just see who he was for split second")?  What would my wedding and wedding dress be like?  What season would it be and what would be my colors?  Will my man and my wedding ever come?
After graduating high school in 2004, I was sure I would be married within 1 or 2 years and that's how I wanted it.  Thank heavens that's how it did not happen for me!  But that drive to marry was such a blessing because it helped me date many different guys and sort out exactly what I wanted and exactly what I didn't want.  I had heard people say that it would happen when I least expected it and I never believed them because I was always expecting it haha!  So I couldn't believe it when this guy came out of the blue and absolutely swept me off of my feet!
I was talking with a friend of mine about singles wards last summer cause I needed a change of scenery so to speak.  She suggested I come with her to her new one out in queen creek.  It sounded like what I was looking for, fun, active, good membered ward- so I went.  That day Keith Monahan, a missionary who just got home, was giving his homecoming talk.  I recognized him from my high school so went to congratulate him after the meeting.  He said I looked kind of familiar but was very nice and friendly and shook my hand.  I didn't know many other people there, so for the next couple of weeks would hang around him and ask what classes were good and stuff.
He asked me out on a date for the saturday after Thanksgiving at the end of a long phone conversation, where I found out that he went to Japan on the mish and that we share a love of sushi.  So that's what we did.  We ate at Ra restaurant and then went bowling. It was a good date and I saw that he was fun and very sweet and handsome.  I didn't know how I felt about going on a second date until after he dropped me off from the first one.  You see, I had heard he was a very good bowler and was excited to see him in action but I ended up beating him the first game and he barely beat me on the second. So I have to say that he lost some brownie points for that.  After the date though, I texted him a question about church and in his reply, along with that answer, he said "by the way, did you notice what hand I was bowling with?" After pondering for a second, I felt silly for not seeing it, then got mad that he hadn't really bowled at top level.  All the sudden, I was very interested in a 2nd date with this funny, awesome guy with smooth moves.  haha!
We became official @ the beginning of January and he just kept blowing me away with how wonderfully he treated me and what an amazing person he was.  For example, a text he sent me one day while I was at school "I picked this flower because it reminded me of how beautiful you are and how good you smell." :) How could I not fall in love with this boy who was such a hard worker and is so handsome and good and everything I've always wanted?  Things progressed quickly because we were both always on the same page and both so willing to communicate so freely.  So after some more dating, a Disney trip and discovering more wonderful things about eachother.  He asked me to marry him!!  HE WAS HERE!  Finally in my life was the man I had thought and dreamt of forever!!  But now, a happy work commenced in planning my wedding.  I had soooo much help and I am so grateful to my mom and sisters for being so awesome to assist me in all of it!  My sister Karlie and my aunt Nancy planned a wonderful bridal shower for me. (and Karlie made that darling cake for me).  Then, my best friends Ralynne and Andrea threw me the most funnest bachelorette party ever! With a HUGE limo and food at cheesecake factory and singing and dancing and scavenger hunting at a club, where we all dressed up like movie stars!  After much planning and partying, the blessed day finally came!!!  Now, because of all the time spent as a child thinking about this, and all the money spent as an adult planning all this, there was much worry as to whether everything or anything would go well.  What if I get sick? What if my dress doesn't fit? What if it rains? What if I forget the time and miss my wedding?? (lol jk-but it did cross my mind).  When I woke up on the morning of June 6th, I was surprised at how clear my mind was.  I felt so happy and nervous, but so right.  I met Keith at the Temple and seeing him I was instantly calm.  What a wonderful wedding ceremony it was!  Couldn't have been better and I didn't forget and miss it (whew)! Then it was more photos and off to the luncheon!  Luncheon was perfect(whew again)! Beautifully decorated by my wonderful in-laws and filled with good food and wonderful words from our dear parents and each other.  Now to the reception.  By this time, I was pretty confident that things would go smoothly :) And they did(final whew)!  The backyard it was held in was just gorgeous and my colors looked so beautiful altogether- including the most difficult part of the planning- the bridesmaid dresses!  My sisters looked stunning in them!  Karlie once again did an incredible cake  and everything else just came together so nicely!
So the day and events that so often crossed my mind were over and I am just left with the sweetest memories and the most grateful heart that it was all so ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!  I now have a handsome, wonderful husband, a great new family, an addition to my own awesome family, and an eternity of happiness to look forward to!  We have had so many fun experiences in marriage already, like our sweet honeymoon to Hawaii.  And we are living Happily Ever After!!

8 comments:

Little Beachs said...

beautiful!!
You two look so cute together!!

Ashley said...

Love love love this post! ...and You! I'm so glad you created a blog!!

Lindsey said...

Oh, so cute! A perfect fairy tale :o)

Shelby Weight said...

I love this! Great job at blogging! you should teach me your good skills!

Andrea Stevenson said...

Love it! Love all of it!

awtitera said...

You guys are almost as cheesy and mushy as Shawn and Tasha. How did I get such sappy, romantic brothers, anyway?? We'll see you guys next week when we move to AZ!!!

natalli said...

this is so cute! you guys make a cute couple.

Traci said...

this is ADORABLE! I love you Alyssa, and I am so happy for you and Keith.